Sculpting The Black Max, Part 5

So, I hope you had a Merry Christmas.

I'm recovering from all the sugar and booze, and will try and pick up where I left off, showing the slow progression of The Black Max, a sculpting exercise concerning a large-ish mecha.

Here's Part Four, along with links to previous updates.

On we go.

When last we left off, we were taking the traced lines from the source art, and extruding them into bulk-outs, rough forms in 3D that give the flat art a better sense of the working proportions.


 Here's the traced lines of the foot.

 Which I then make into the rough shape of the final foot, along with a rudimentary ball for an ankle.

 I extrude the lines of the lower leg into their slabby extrusions...

 And then use a lot of the Taper command to round and contort them into more rounded shapes.

 The side lines of the main hull are extruded.  Using my seated Waldo, I make sure the cockpit still fits.

 I added that large plate in the shoulder area as a mount for the large weapon arms.  Mounts for the smaller "T-Rex" will come in time.

 The large weapon arms from the previous update are a bit long.

I shorten the barrels, and formulate a new mounting system using 3/8" balls and sockets.  This will come into play later.

 Speaking of those T-Rex arms...I take the line art...
 And form it to a rough shape.

 The Upper Leg gets a similar treatment.  Here's a side view...
And from the front.  Again, 3/8" ball and sockets for the hip joint.

More to come.  As a matter of fact, here's the link forward to Part Six, putting all the parts together and working out the proportions.

Best,
JBR

Comments

Popular Posts