Painting, Part Two: One Very Large Mech.

It's been a long time coming, but I managed to get my Imperial Knight Valiant painted and together.

Here's the finished product, in case you don't feel like scrolling all the way down through the WIP pictures...






 The initial block-out of colors is pretty strong.  Don't worry, that minty green will become much more subdued by the time we're done.








 After a basecoat of Gun Metal 18111 from Reaper Paints, I give most of the highlighted parts a nice coat of Copper 08106 from Reaper, with drybrushing the hard edges with Truesilver 08102.





 Way too shiny.  Time to slather.




 That's more like it.
I am now a firm believer in the power of Nuln Oil, which is a nice black ink from Games Workshop.  It adds a greasy, dingy effect that really tames down the shiny, happy basecoats, turns the show pony into a warhorse.








 Well, here's the end result.  One mean-looking mech, slaying bodies in the service of the Emperor of Mankind.


All that remain are basing and decals, and the Valiant will join my Castellan on the tabletop battlefield.  Or, more likely, collecting dust on my shelf.

Best,
JBR/Bear

Comments

Paul O'G said…
Great project - the final result is awesome!
John Bear Ross said…
Thanks, sir!

Best,
JBR
Unknown said…
John, I've been a fan for eons. While looking for minis I keep coming back to yours as my favorite designs. Specifically your 6mm sci-fi. When I found you had made those wonderful Cold Navy designs which had me inspired for years I thought I'd try my hand at some fan art. Its not a copy of what you’ve done but I sure was trying to follow your example.

Enjoy.


https://www.tinkercad.com/things/3ggpV8NDdIH-cool-krunk-vihelmo/edit

Popular Posts