Unauthorized Mods, Part 3

This is part three of my off-the-reservation redesign of the Dictator CAV, which in its original form is the property of Reaper Miniatures.

Here's a link to part two.  Here's a link to part one.

On with the carving.

 I'm using the old cannons for stand-ins as I rework the upper arms.  The newly-shaped hull pushes the mounting point pretty far back.  So, I sculpt up a new upper arm that has a cantilevered strut that brings the weapon's mounting point back forward.
 I like it.  I'll detail it later, and make it look like a bundle of power transmission chords, or an armored gasket material.
 I'm looking for a "swoopier" look on this revamp.  So, I bring the new shoulders up, and make their mounting points descend back into the hull.
 
 I put the old legs back under the new model, and do a side-by-side comparison with the Classic Dictator.  Looking good, so far, but there are many refinements ahead of me.
 
 
 
I start to rework the main gauss cannon.  I want to retain the styling, but rebuild it from the ground up, with an eye towards more detailing, and a smoother look.

More to come, including new missile launchers, a rotary gauss weapon, and other fun stuff.

Best,
JBR

Comments

Mr. Harold said…
Looking nice, I quite like the new design for the cannons.

Man, I'd love to see more CAV stuff in 15mm...
John Bear Ross said…
You and me, both, sir. You and me, both.

;)

Part 4 is up.

Best,
JBR

Popular Posts