Alright, so, enough sermonizing and semi-historical/semi-technical jibba-jabba from the previous posts (click on the links for the respective parts one and two), and on to the actual building of a ballistic implement. At least the lower receiver of one, until more funds make themselves available.
Here's some of the fiddly bits that are going to go into the stripped lower receiver, with (hopefully) a minimum of profanity. I make no promises.
here at AR15.com, I installed the
magazine catch. Drop in the spring, a little pressure, some threading and spinning, and it's in place.
You'll notice that the front takedown pin is in place as well. I managed to only have to search for the flying detent once in the carpet under the desk. *Pwing!* is not a noise you want to hear when putting together a rifle. Some folks perform this step with the parts and receiver inside a plastic bag, in case the detent or spring really go flying. I see the wisdom of that, now, only too late.
Magpul), and viola, I realize I have no barreled upper receiver assembly. Ooh...gotta order one of those things, I guess.
The rifle lower receiver promptly fails a function check of its parts. A function check is a quick rundown to see if a rifle fires when it's supposed to, will reset and fire again if needed, and stays on safe when it's not supposed to fire. It's not resetting in Fire mode. Ugh.
Consulting a video on Youtube, I find that I placed the Disconnecter spring in upside down. Flared side _down_. Ooh...*scratches thick skull*
A quick takedown and reassembly, and it passes a function check. This scene from Cast Away describes how I feel.."I...I have made fire!"
The trigger's nothing special, rack-grade, but I learned on a military-grade trigger as a yoot, and look forward to completing this rifle at tax time.
Thanks for putting up with my screed. Back to digital sculpting soon, I promise.