New Sculpting Rig, Voodoo, and Quetzalcoatl

Greetings, all.

Just wanted to show off the newest addition in the bedroom. The Mk.1 Sculpting Monolith, jutting proudly from the northeast corner of Ross manor's master bedroom suite.

A friend from work gave me an old armoire that was taking up room in his place, and I needed a new work station to put my dual computers that also enabled me to close up and hide my mess. It's like a big, white transformer. More than meets the eye!

Here's a view of the closed piece.

The bottom drawers opened.


Close-up of the two CPUs. On the left is the Old Faithful sculpting computer, now converted to use as the internet hub. On the right is my new Gateway i7. Quad Core. 8 Gigs of Ram. Little blinky red lights in the tower that I keep turned off. I'm very happy with the purchase of this machine, as it has enabled me to take on some pretty big projects. It should pay for itself within a short time, if all goes right.

Now the whole shebang is opened up.

Here's a view from the seat. I'm looking up at these two screens, forcing me to be more upright. An ergonomic decision, considering the fact that I'm spending a lot of time in this chair, and don't want my spine to eventually resemble a piece of macaroni.

Here's the tools of the trade. Some Rebel Minis figs to use as reference. The converted warjack I did some months back. A Starrett dial caliper. USB drive for transferring files between computers. A red Swingline (yes, I love Office Space that much). A speedloader of .44 Magnum (why that's there, I dunno). And, of course, a .357 Mag 7-shot Taurus, for things that go bump in the night. What, you don't sculpt armed? You don't know what you're missing out on. It's very liberating. Heh.

Here's Voodoo. Those of you who have been around the old Hellion Productions website might remember her. She's gotten a little long in the tooth, but she's still a good cat.Here's Quetzalcoatl, my son's and my personal dragon. Daddy drew on a Whitewings plane, and we christened it after the Aztec feathered serpent. We enjoy flying it, when it's not too hot outside.

Well, that's a view from the bench, over here in Southern Nevada. I know I'm going to run into heat issues with the enclosure, but I'm going to drill some holes into the sides of the armoire, and won't run the i7 without the box fan blowing air into the front of the thing. We'll see.

Best,
John Bear Ross

Comments

I'm insanely tempted to get a Core i7 based machine, do you find that it speeds up modelling tremendously? All that ram can't hurt either. I'm still running a P4 and 2 gigs of ram so I'm guessing it would be an incredible improvement.

Nick
John Bear Ross said…
Nick!

I found out what I needed when researching here on this UK Rhino distributor's site...

http://www.simplyrhino.com/rhinotraining/hardware.html

and here...
http://www.simplyrhino.com/products/workstations.html

So if you're building a machine to work Rhino, you might want to emulate a machine on the second link.

Take note that their Modeller III, the top of the line as listed, is an i7.

I say splurge for a new machine, and consequences be damned. That's what I did, and I'm extremely happy with the new machine. Lightyears ahead of my old rig, which was similar in setup to yours (P4, 2 Gig RAM).

Plus, it's getting my builds done much quicker, saving me time, and upping output.

Best,
JBR
Nick Carter said…
Yeah, I just need to scrape up the cash I guess, part of my problem is I definitely want the next PC to have dual monitors...whenever I start adding up components the price gets past $1K pretty quick.
John Bear Ross said…
It was pretty pricey, but I bit the bullet, and I'm glad. Sometimes it takes money to make money.

"But honey, it's a _business_ expense.."

You don't now how many times I've said that...

Best,
JBR

Popular Posts