New/Old APC Uploaded To Shapeways






This was a companion piece to the Main Battle Tank I uploaded to my little Shapeways outlet. It, too, is an older design, crafted sometime after the first batch of designs I did for CAV, back in the early 2000s. This has been floating around my files for a while, lurking under the name "Brick APC."

It definitely lives up to its name. I decided to call it the M-2046, since the first tank was designated the M-2044A2. Fictional, silly designations, I know, but they give it a bit of pep.

The design is offered in 6mm Scale (1 inch long), 1/144th Scale (2 inches long), and 15mm Scale (2.85 inches long).

The automated pricing process at Shapeways is pretty wacky, so be prepared for some eye-popping prices. Even with a single-digit-percent markup, these things are priced very stiffly. Again, this whole Shapeways thing is an experiment, so bear with me as I stumble through the process. Hopefully prices will come down. We'll see.

Best,
JBR

Comments

Andyroo said…
I love the two you have put up so far but the cost is way over what I can afford this year.

As an outsider (to the trade that is) how does this compare to getting a master and mould made? Given that you have to make a living as well I am concerned that the single digit uplift on price would not cover your costs at these prices due to limited sales.

I do wish your experiment well and if I had spare cash this year I would gladly buy some of the 15mm to see the results esp. this one.

Andrew
John Bear Ross said…
Well, perhaps they'll interest a current or future client to buy a test sample, and if they like it, they can purchase the production rights, and put it into regular pewter or lead production.

I agree with you on the cost issue, though. It's far too high of a premium, and completely out of synch with what the market will bear. Until prices come down, it's more of an exhibition, not a way to make a living.

Thanks for your kind words, Andrew.

Best,
JBR
Andyroo said…
To use this as a display method seems to be a good idea and one I had not thought of and maybe that is the best use for this for now.

Having just seen 'Prototype This' on TV last night where they used a similar unit to make a firemans backpack I wonder how much that cost!

Good luck with this and I hope it pays off for you.

Andrew

Popular Posts