Hawken Update 4: BlueBoy Five Has A New Hull

I like Hawken.  Perhaps a bit too much.

I'm not a very good gamer, but it's a great stress reliever, and I enjoy it for what it is.  Mechs slugging it out in cities and barren landscapes, turning each other into incinerated shrapnel.

Here's a walk-around of my main ride, a modified Sharpshooter.  As I said in my post a few days ago, I was looking forward to upgrading the hull.

The nice thing about Hawken is that you can customize your mech's looks using parts from other similar-sized bots.  The Sharpshooter is a B class, the middleweight of the three classifications of mechs in Hawken.  A class mechs are light and fast.  C class mechs are heavy, slow, and armored.

Here's a Wiki for Hawken, in case you want to learn more.

Hawken recently had its monthly update.  They made available a new mech, called the Raider.  New weapons, new abilities, and whatnot, but it also put new parts on the digital shelf to buy.  The Raider's main hull always reminded me of an Abrams turret, with the cannon removed.  That's part of the junk/salvage design aesthetic of Hawken that appeals to me.

This is basically the configuration that I rocked in the initial A2 testing version of the game, when I first fell in love with it.  It's nice to have my old ride back.



 
 


Back to sculpting.  And "liking" pictures of cats on Facebook.  ;)

Best,
JBR

Comments

Unknown said…
Have you tried Mechwarrior Online yet? I'm a bit partial to it (been a Battletech fan since the mid-90's). If not, it's another free to play mech game with considerable customization. I also just finished a bunch of artwork for an unofficial MWO android app that should be hitting the market in the next hourish as well :)
John Bear Ross said…
I haven't tried it, yet. I saw the source art, and liked what I saw, though.

Good luck on your app launch! Post up a link, when it becomes available.

Best,
JBR
Unknown said…
It just popped up a little bit ago on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.typhonpacific.mwo.app&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

You should give MWO a try. It's slower paced, more like World of Tanks, but it's a load of fun. I'm personally waiting for the community warfare section to open up.
GJD said…
Gave Hawken a try based on your updates and it's a blast! I'm BigGoober on there if you ever see me :)
John Bear Ross said…
I'll send you a Friend request, if you don't send me one first, GJD/BigGoober!

Best,
JBR
Unknown said…
I'll give it a try as well. Handle will be S3dition.
John Bear Ross said…
Drink a lot of Mountain Dew before you play. It's a pretty fast-paced first person shooter.

Run through the training sims, get your keyboard buttons set to where you're comfortable with them (I reassigned the vitally-important Boost command to a side button on my mouse), and remember to shoot and scoot. Movement is life in that game.

Best,
JBR
John Bear Ross said…
Also, go to community.playhawken.com, the game's official forum. In the General Discussion subforum, there's a pinned topic that gives tips and tricks for beginning pilots.

Best,
JBR

Popular Posts