First Test Prints: 28mm Scale Gatlings

TLDR:  With just the test prints, it's 80% of what I want in a production-ready, professional print.
I just need to learn how to tweak it, and do cleanup better.

Here's some photos...





Here's the print, fresh out of the resin bath.  Cleanup is in 91% concentrate isopropyl rubbing alcohol.  They look pretty gummy, right now.

A little work with a toothbrush in the IPA, and the shiny side of the prints without all the lattice work looks good.  Build layers were .025mm, or just under a thousandth of an inch per layer.

Print took 4 hours and 12 minutes.

Now to the post-processing, and where there's room for improvement...




Here's the sprued guns, with my tablet providing some underlighting.  Looking good so far.



 Busting off sprue and lattice.




 Houston, the minor problem reveals itself.  I wasn't able to brush off the uncured resin during the IPA rinse-off/scrubbing because of the lattice work.  That soft, gloppy resin softened and obscured details, and cured in place.  A minor point, and part of the learning curve, as far as I'm concerned.  I just need to reduce the sprues and increase the scrubbing (without damaging the part, of course).







So, here are the parts in sunlight, with my rudimentary post-cleanup.  I will prime the parts and see if the build lines fill in, and maybe something will emerge.

I'm happy, but not ecstatic.  Like I said earlier, I need to learn and refine my process.  It's not just a Star Trek replicator that spits out parts.

But, it's cool, and it's mine!

;)

Stay tuned.

Best,
JBR

Comments

Popular Posts