Those Damnable Liebster Awards, Part 1


 
I received a trio of Liebster Award nominations over the last month or so from three fellow game bloggers.   




I figured, what the hell, roll them up, along with the AMA stuff, and get the questions answered.

The Liebster entails a number of questions you answer (11, to be exact), giving 11 truths about yourself, passing the award forward to 11 other blogs, and making up 11 questions of your own.

I'll do the "11 Truths" segment in this blog post.  As you probably know, I tend to get wordy.  Pictures are interspersed as appropriate to maintain your attention.

I'm a bit of a dead end when it comes to these type of pass-it-on awards.  I'm turning into a crotchety old man.  However, I'll relent for these three gentlemen. 

Please, from this point on, no more Liebsters.

If nominated, I thank you in advance, but I'll gracefully pass.  ;)

So, my 11 Truths.  I believe these are to be declarative statements about myself.  Pardon me if I get yappy and overintrospective...

I was an 0331 Machine Gunner in the Marine Corps Reserve from 1995 to 2001.  I scored high enough on the ASVAB (the military's cognitive screening test) to do anything I wanted, but was restricted to the local reserve unit's needs.
Well, guess what, boy, this is an infantry unit!  You can choose between machinegunner, mortarman, or anti-tank assaultman.
My 19-year-old self decided that machinegunner sounded cool, so I went with that.  Good choice.

I met my wife, Beautiful Rachel, in a bar in Las Vegas.  No lie.  We've been married for 14 years, now, with two kids.  Sometimes lightning does strike in the most unlikely of places.

I am a carb-addicted candy hound.  I have a sweet tooth of epic proportions.  It is a cruel joke foisted upon me by the universe, since diabetes runs in both sides of my family, and I am constantly battling my weight.  Conversely...

I've never had a cavity in my life.  I chalk it up to the fluoride they made us swish-and-spit when I was in school overseas in Japan.  I've had just one root canal, but that was to fix a broken tooth, because...

I took a wiffle-ball bat to the face when I was in early elementary school.  Knocked off the top of one of my front lower teeth.  One moment we're at PE, playing wiffleball, and the next, I have crunchy bits of enamel gritting in my teeth, and a bloody lip.  It was nothing malicious,  I just got too close to the next kid that was swinging the bat.  They tried to put a crown on it, but nothing took.  Eventually, they had to drill it out, and put a permanent crown on it.

I like cats more than dogs.  I don't hate dogs.  They're fine animals.  I just like cats better.

I usually work and communicate "in the open" on the internet.  Most of my handles and pseudonyms are "John Bear Ross," "johnbearross," or varieties thereof.  Using handles and monikers is fine, but I prefer to stand behind my words, without a mask.  It keeps things civil.  I used to sign on as "Hellion Productions" or "Hellion," my old company name.

I digitally sculpt mechanical things while listening to electronic dance music.  I find that it helps with the work, and helps me keep grinding away.

I am a firearms enthusiast, and a fierce proponent of the right to self defense, which I consider a basic human right.  "Human" being the operative word, there, meaning a tool-using sapient.  I like having the best tools for the job.  ;)

I think "So I Married An Axe Murderer" is a beautifully quirky, romantic film.


I write fiction, when I can, when I'm not blocked, or hung over.
I find it difficult to turn off my writer-brain when I watch movies or watch TV, and hate finding obvious plot holes.
If a show tries to be high-brow and pretentious, and has obvious sloppy writing, I immediately lose interest.  It's not that I'm so great, it's that so much crap gets green-lit these days.
Side note:  Steven King's "On Writing."  Get it.  It helped me.  It will help you tell your story clearer and cleaner.

So, that's it for tonight.  Off to bed.

Best,
JBR

Comments

mel_noah said…
Very enlightening.
John Bear Ross said…
A glimpse into madness.

;)

Best,
JBR

Popular Posts