In The Zombie Apocalypse, Edged Weapons Won't Run Out Of Ammo

Knives and Swords, Spears and Lances.

Ever since homo erectus figured out how to use a hand axe, we as a species have endeavored to find better and more efficient means of ventilating our enemies and competitors.

Through the years, down through the generations, various cultures have given us a cornucopia of edged weapons.  The katana.  The halberd.  The khukri.  The hand-and-a-half bastard.  The gladius.  The flamberge.

All of which have been rendered obsolete, due to the advent of pelletized death, i.e. the self-contained firearm cartridge.  The bad thing about ammo:  when the zeds have overrun the munitions plants, the ammo runs out.  Unless your rifle has a bayonet on it to convert it to an ersatz spear, it's going to just be a paperweight.  So, it never hurts to have a backup handy.

These days, the zombie craze has inspired a new generation of bladesmiths to offer edged weapons that incorporate  modern styling and metallurgy, giving new life to the old ways.

These aren't toys.  They may be based in whimsey, but they also seem to be gorgeously tough and reliable tools.



Fallen Oak Forge is a small operation that offers beautiful micarta-gripped blades, and a high degree of customization.  You can "like" his stuff on Facebook (click here for the link to his ZdaySurvivor47 page), or buy his stuff from his Etsy shop.  The gear-head cudgel (club, for you Philistines), really strikes my fancy.




Zombie Tools is a bunch of PBR-swilling Montanans that make some devastatingly nasty blades.  I particularly like the Hellion, Reaper, Deuce, and Vakra.  They're also on Facebook.

Are these blades expensive?  Hell yes.

I don't own anything from either company, and it would take some major coin to fulfill my wishlist.  But I admire their craftsmanship and roll-up-your-sleeves work ethic.

If you're on a budget, I'm sure a GI-surplus machete, Khukri-Style Knife, or a Vietnam Tomahawk will do the job just fine.  Good tools from reputable companies don't have to cost an arm and a leg.  Just make sure you buy quality, and research the less-expensive stuff thoroughly.

Remember, your life just might depend on it.  ;)

Best,
JBR

Comments

Unknown said…
I love it when people say that. I tell them "Neither does the butt of my rifle."
John Bear Ross said…
True. But who wants to buttstroke a zed, and then have a slippery cheek weld on a gore-splattered stock? Icky. ;)
John Bear Ross said…
BTW, that's a very nice blog you have there, Stephen. Great post on people's misunderstanding of 3d printing.

http://fracturedmesh.blogspot.com/
Unknown said…
Well, if I'm out of ammo, I don't have to worry about zombie gore until I get a chance to rearm and clean the weapon :)

And thanks! I see the same "I can't wait until I can 3d print the world" post over and over again. I'm getting tired of debunking the misconceptions, but I suppose it can't be helped.

My blog doesn't have any groovy finished products for live games like yours, but I try to help the fellow modelers as much as possible. I figure if I step in do-do, the least I can do is wave people off so they don't suffer the same fate.
Don M said…
fortunately for me I have some great military training....and learned how to make an improvised flame mine field....crispy critters anyone...)
Mark Mondragon said…
In my musings about this, I often wondered why they never make armor… Even if you don’t have combat gear you can cobble together a homemade suit. I would take a visit to a place that sold ABS plastic sheets… it can be formed by placing it in an oven or over a flame to soften it up. Light weight and hard enough to stop a bite or clawing. I made a suit for the SCA (quasi-medieval combat) simple quick and effective ;)
Unknown said…
A trip to your local Cycle Gear or motorcycle shop would yield better results without the cooking. It has all kinds of ABS shell, foam rubber padded, and kevlar lined stuff you would need in a ready-to-wear package.

Best of all, they have summer, winter, and all weather gear. Mighty convenient.
Mark Mondragon said…
I think I found my Zombie armor ;)
http://www.udreplicas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9
John Bear Ross said…
$1564.00 CDN !!! That's a lot of tooks and beer!

That suit looks great, though.

Best,
JBR
Unknown said…
Just found these guys: http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax

It's too bad they don't say what makes them "anti-zombie." They look like they just have nylon penetrators on them.

Popular Posts