2012 Las Vegas Comic Expo

I used to go to the San Diego Comicon pretty regularly, starting in the late 1990s.  I might sound like an old man, but I liked it better when no one else really knew about it.

After a while, the SD Comicon stopped being about comic books, and more about publicity for summer movies and TV shows.  Everyone and their mom started attending, and the task of walking the aisles became an ordeal of making your way through the crushing throng.

No more fun.

So, when my dear friend Chad Hardin said that Las Vegas was going to (after a decade-long hiatus) host a small comic convention, I readily agreed.  We hardly ever get to see each other, and Vegas was a good mid-way point between his home in Utah and my ranchito out in Pahrump.

Chad is a successful comic artist, having worked for Marvel, DC, and Dark Horse, among others.  He's currently on the Dragon Age series of digital titles from Dark Horse.  Gorgeous stuff.  Here's his blog, too.




So, here is Chad, with Jemma and Jacob Young, his friends from Utah.

And here's my boy, John Bear II, with a cosplay Stormtrooper who was kind enough to take a picture with us.
And here's JBR2, again, with the creature from the black lagoon.  Or at least a very nice sculpted likeness, from Mark Alfrey.

Finally, my vivacious daughter, Olivia, posing with the statue.

I hope they put on another Las Vegas Comic Expo next year.  It was an intimate, comfortable show that attracted some powerhouse talent, among them Chad and Mike Mignola.  I loved it, and can't wait to do it again.

Best,
JBR

Comments

Popular Posts