Herzog Zwei Returns, In The Form Of AirMech!

As usual, I'm months behind the rest of the world when it comes to new announcments of things I might find interesting in the realms of technology and entertainment.



Being in my mid-30s, I grew up with the Sega Genesis as my home console.  My favorite games were Target Earth, Star Control, and Herzog Zwei.
A new game offered by Carbon Games has reawakened the spirit of Herzog, and reincarnated it in a new game called AirMech.


 
Herzog Zwei (German, apparently, for "Duke 2") was a beautiful real-time strategy game where you were a transforming mech/jet that could fight and transport units where you needed them.  You ordered infantry to capture bases, and the more bases you captured, the better your budget was to order and manufacture more units.  Very fun, for folks of my mindset.


AirMech looks to be a modern-day successor to the economy-warfare game model.  The graphics look beautiful, you're not limited to just one type of player vehicle (I've seen the usual Veritech-lookalike, a stealth bomber, a forward swept wing fighter, a helicopter, and a prototype of a saucer on various youtube videos), and the combat units look great.

Here's the Youtube Search Results for AirMech.

Here's Carbon Games' site.

Let's hope this comes to fruition.  It's in open alpha right now.  I'd sign up, but I'm still loaded down with sculptin'.

Best,
JBR

Comments

Sergeant Crunch said…
Being of a similar age I remember playing Herzog Zwei at my friends house. He had the cool consoles, but I could play Mechwarrior on my Dad's IBM clone. Anyway, that looks like an awesome rehash, might have to check it out.
John Bear Ross said…
It's addicting as hell. Be warned. And since it's an alpha, I've had a couple games freeze on me. Which is infuriating.
Which makes you want to play again, dammit.
Ask me how I know.

Best,
JBR
Cergorach said…
Thanks for pointing this out, looks addictive ;-)
John Bear Ross said…
It is. I would type more, but I've got to get back to playing. :)
Best
JBR
Oz said…
I played AirMech at PAX, solid good time!
John Bear Ross said…
It managed to eat my weekend and transport me back to 1991 at the same time. Good game.

Best,
JBR
Christopher said…
John, just FYI - I think a more accurate translation might be "Second in command" or "Supreme Commander 2" despite what Google says... :)

I love that game!

Popular Posts