Viper Suit: Making Waldo Fit


I may have mentioned it before, but the question came up about the Viper Suit's size. The short answer: Very tiny.
Think of it as an armored cockpit on legs.
Able to bob and weave among houses and vehicles, taking pop shots at targets and fading back behind cover amidst devastated streets and colonial infrastructures.

The second question came up: How does a pilot fit in that tiny thing? So I did a series of pics.

I use a stand-in digital model, called a Waldo, throughout a build to make sure a human can plausibly fit. The blue Waldo was an exploded copy, posed to a seated pilot's position. As you can see, it's a tight squeeze.

As you may have experienced yourself, military or utility/construction hardware is seldom designed with the occupant's comfort in mind.

As you can see from the pics above, I'm proud to continue that long tradition of horrific ergonomics ;)

Best,
JBR

Comments

Tight isn't a problem at all. I'm just a little over average height (73"), and even the basic M998 is uncomfortable to me. When I think of a small mech, I imagine it to be even more cramped than a typical single-seat fighter.

Your use of Waldo makes a big difference in the finished products. There are still too many 15mm vehicles available that couldn't be operated by a pygmy or carry a squad of jawas.

And whenever this is pointed out, someone will typically blame scale creep. I usually respond with a picture of the offending vehicle next to a Laserburn or Citadel Traveler mini. :)

That problem seems to be disappearing now that your vehicles have become the 15mm Sci Fi standards.

-Chris
John Bear Ross said…
Very kind words, sir. Thanks. I've shoehorned myself into enough Hummers back in the day to know that it's no fun, especially geared up with a rifle slung cross-body.

I'm 76", so I basically had to smear butter on the sides of the door frame to make sure I fit!

Best,
JBR
Never cease to amaze! Great work as always.
Never cease to amaze! Great work as always.

Popular Posts