28mm Scale Weapons For MERCS, Part 2

This is part two of a short WIP series of blog posts of commission work done for Mercs Minis.

After the Sefadu Shotgun met with client approval, I moved on to the precision/sniper rifle, the second weapon down in this bitchin' example of source art.
The precision rifle offered a few unique challenges. Casting demands called for a thicker barrel than what the source art showed, so I had to balance reality versus a sleek and killer profile.


Also, the hooded optic, which reminds me of a futuristic Trijicon ACOG, presented a small problem. A true hood would create a thin-walled undercut which would rip out easily during molding ("moulding," for you Brit types). So, I brought the face of the lens out, to create the impression of a hood, while still retaining strength. We'll see how it turns out on the printout.
Besides a surface blend or two, the client was happy. I then moved on to fusing, and final detailing, the results of which can be seen below...

This build went quickly, and will make a handsome death-dealer for those of you who like sniper minis.

Tomorrow, the Sefadu Assault Rifle.

Best,
JBR

Comments

Mark Mondragon said…
Looks great John!

I'm glad you had the time for this one. I know you must have cringed when you passed on the first set. I am forever grateful for you passing work my way and I’m pleased as punch your on the project.

Cant wait to see these with the MERCS figs... You both do amazing work.

All the best!
Mark-
John Bear Ross said…
Mark,

I hate passing on work, as you know.

I enjoy when it makes its way to you, though.

Best,
JBR

Popular Posts