Mint 1/60th Scale Dictator CAV kit on Ebay!




Wow! First, let me disclose that it's NOT mine, nor do I have any connection with it. It's just cool seeing a kit I made years ago on the secondary market.

Here's the link to the auction.

The seller seems to have a great rating. Cool. As to the photos, those are the contents as I remember them. "Factory Original Bags" from the auction text equals Albertsons brand sandwich bags, packed in my home office.

Those were good times, but made me quickly realize I wasn't a very good online retailer. If you've got one of those Dictators, Despots, or *shudder* a Factory-Seconds Scorpion kits, I hope it's still bringing you joy after all these years.

The Dictator 1/60th scale kit was done under license from Reaper from 2003 to 2005 or so. There were two waves of castings, if I recall. The amber colored leg is a pic of the master printout from a service bureau in Austin I used, called ATIRapid. Luke Allison was good people to deal with there.

The little signalman next to the leg is a sad attempt on my part to sculpt a 28mm scale figure. I sent most of my attempts to Kev at Hasslefree, to see if he could do anything with them. I'm sure he and the lovely Mrs. are still trying to get over the horror of unboxing my tragically-amateurish figs. Either that, or they're still pointing and giggling after all these years.

The assembled picture from my desk is one of my favorite shots of my first test kit. Obviously, this was a big boy. Neil Nowatzki also did a detailed review on Starship Modeler, and even hollowed out a hull to install a cockpit! Here's the link to that masterpiece...

Best,
JBR

Comments

Wow, this is really awesome. I had no idea you ever did this sort of thing. This is exactly what I would like to try and do... at least once. I know it is a lot of work. I took "dimensional illustration" in college for several semesters so I know a decent amount about sculpting, mold making, and casting with silcast. I'm not claiming to be good at it and I'm 16 years out of practice :(
John Bear Ross said…
Well, the secret was to not try and do everything myself. I was trying to run everything as a one-man show, and it quickly became apparent that I was no master caster. Casting for the Dictator and Despot was outsourced to a talented fellow named Dave Whalen, out in West Virginia. He did great work, and his rates were superb, as well.

Making the kit's the easy part. The business side of things is where I goofed. Best to leave the retail side of things to those who are good at it, so I can focus on the things I'm semi-good at.

Best,
JBR
Thorlongus said…
hello, had an unrelated question for you.
If a 1/144 model is 4.25 inches tall. what should a 1/300 version of the same model be --roughly 1/2
or 2 inchhes tall??
looking ome 1/300 gundam for use with 15mm
thanks
steve
John Bear Ross said…
Yup. 2 inches tall in 1/100th scale would be about 16.6 feet tall. A nice sized infantry-crusher!

Post a link, please, if you get a chance.

Best,
JBR
John Bear Ross said…
Well, that auction's over. $98.50 is what it went for. Good deal.

Best,
JBR

Popular Posts