Unauthorized Mods, Part 4

Here's part four of my own private redesign of Reaper Miniatures' Dictator CAV.  I'm exploring new concepts, and pushing my own personal envelopes.  This is not intended as a challenge to Reaper's ownership of the Dictator CAV.  It's just an exercise in digital sculpting.

Today's update is on weapons, or at least a few ideas I'm kicking around.

 These are the stock missile pods that were on the Classic Dictator.  Direct Fire missiles on the left, Indirect Fire missiles on the right.  These design themes carried throughout the early CAV designs.
 I didn't want a rehash of the same thing, though.  I wanted an enclosed design, with dual-use warheads that could fire both direct and indirect.  No separate launchers necessary.
 The solution I came up with looks like a crocodile's head, but it is also pretty sleek.  I will have to install a hinge, and figure out a mounting system, but I like it.

 I array the new crocodile launchers on the top and bottom of the new hull.  The raised-mounted arms collide with the new launchers, and look awkward...
 ...so I bring them down a touch.  Much better.
 
 Here's a couple more views of the new configuration, with missile hatches closed...
 
 ...and open.  Looks very "death blossom," no?

 
 I remount the old legs, and do another side-by-side comparison with the Classic Dictator.  You can see the family resemblance, but the new girl is starting to take on her own design identity.

 
 
Those aren't fingertips on that new weapon, by the way.  It's a rotary gauss cannon, derived from the old main gun.  This is just a bulk-out, but I think it conveys the general image I'm trying to get across.

That's all for now.  The Overtime Monster is stealing my sculpting time for a little bit.  For previous updates, here's links to...

Part One
Part Two
and Part Three

Enjoy!

Best,
JBR

Comments

Popular Posts